My then 2 year old at a Niner's game

My then 2 year old at a Niner's game
Niners Baby

Wednesday, May 7, 2008

kids and sports

Ok, I have a question for anyone willing to answer. At what age should kids be allowed to start playing sports competitively? Is there an age that is too young? I am a believer in allowing kids to explore different activities, but believe that competition at a young age (8 and younger) could be detrimental to a kids future desires to continue participation in the future.

2 comments:

Scott Sailor, EdD ATC said...

Interesting question. I believe there might be a lot of answers based on different perspectives - sociology, maturity, physical maturity. I think this could be a really fun discussion, and a topic I love to use to stir things up. Way to go.

Richard Robertson said...

I really think your topic is interesting and I have struggled with that idea. I have coached 6 year olds who were very athletically talented and competitive and benefited from organized competition and I have also coach 14 year olds who would have been better off with a less competitive environment.